Friday, October 8, 2010

Critiquing a Critique

I was unhappy with the critique this week. 7 minutes and no one said anything worth while. I knew I had been struggling with cross contour and the class beforehand I had already spoken with Amy about this. I wanted to hear from the class, but no one had anything to say besides Evan. Thank you Evan for speaking at least, but I didn't take a liking to your comment because it was subjective. And I guess all critiques are subject, but you have to take them with a grain of salt unless the comment is collective. From the lack of response from the class, this wasn't collective. Evan stated that he enjoyed my 10 minute drawing more than any other. He thought it was more pure and natural because he didn't like the blendy value drawings and I had already stated the faults of the cross contours. The 10 minute drawing is not the strongest of the ones I accomplished these past weeks, sorry Evan. I really enjoy the value drawings I've accomplished. Expanding on my last post about going in-depth into Photoshop painting, value has been my priority these past months. I felt a true connection with the skulls and I really enjoy the profile view. I was totally in the zone with this drawing and therefore left most of my original lines to show the progression of connection, from basic to detailed.

The following is the 10 minute drawing, 2 value drawings and a cross contour:






To sum this week up, SPEAK UP people! It makes the class much more interesting when everyone participates and ANYTHING you have to say is helpful. It also encourages others to speak up or gives them a new perspective to reflect and comment on. I HATE, absolutely HATE crappy critiques. It's a waste of my time and yours. Sorry for the tough love, but Wednesday was brutal and I never want our critiques to progress like that again...ugh.

2 comments:

  1. It does feel like talking about the subjective stuff (especially when a drawing is obviously not even finished), is a waste of our time at this point (and I feel it pretty much is)... but it beats saying nothing at all :/

    I'd feel much more comfortable critiquing these in-progress, because it's at that point that fundamental stuff is more obvious, and can actually be changed or addressed. Instead we critique at the end, which I don't really see as that valuable when we could all improve in the fundamentals area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think its hard to critique drawings at this point. Most of us are still in the uncomfortable/unknowing stages. So its strange to judge other peoples works when you are so uncertain about your own, you know?

    But i do agree, I think critiques are almost unbearable at this point. Hopefully they will get better.

    Also, i think your back view was the most successful. It feels 3 dimensional and has great shading throughout.

    ReplyDelete